Thursday, December 29, 2011

Before you plant your seeds, feed your worms

Research done at Cornell University has confirmed that compost aids in disease suppression, and that when seeds are planted with vermicompost the organisms in the compost will colonize the seed and will also protect the seedling from unfriendly organisms.

Read the full article at http://www.futurity.org/earth-environment/worm-compost-keeps-seedlings-safe/
Check out the brilliant photo - the cosmic metaphor of micro-organisms is obvious. There is a universe in every drop of compost! Read Mycelium Running by Paul Stamets.

I start the new solar year (22 Dec) by planting a tray of seeds. This year I am going on a winter vacation and I won't be able to start growing as early as usual so I chose to Go Wild!, as the Edmonton Naturalization Group says. My tray of 5 native plant varieties is stratifying on my porch until I return from my holiday.

Can't wait to win the Front Yards in Bloom Natural Garden award this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment