Thanks for sharing the photos and design, Will.
|Will S. with his finished compost bin.|
- 32" or 36" wide
- 64" or 96" long
- 36" high
For 2 sections
- 22: 1"x6"x6' used fence or siding boards to use as side-slats
- 16' length of 2x4 wood OR 10: 3' length of 2x2 wood to use as posts
- 1 sheet: corrugated fiberglass OR old window screen OR similar top
- several Robertson screws (square screws)
- several Phillips screws (+ shaped screws)
- 2: 2" hinges
- 4: 2 1/2" hook eyes
Optional: If you ever want to disassemble and move these bins.
- 6 backboards
- fixed bottom front
Instructions for Assembly
|Plans for Will's compost bin. Build your own and share your pics with us!|
- A & B: Hook left side and left front gate together.
- C: Hook left gate to centre.
- D: Hook right gate to centre.
- E: Hook right gate to right side.
- F: Screw back top board #1 with one Robertson screw, to left side post, to right side post, and to centre post.
Straighten so sides are vertical and add two more Robertson screws to each post.
This leaves each post with three square screws.
- G: Screw back bottom board #6 with one Robertson screw to left side post, to right side post, and to centre post.
Add two more Robertson screws to each post.
- H: Unhook gates. Now screw narrow front bottom board with one Robertson screw to bottom of left post, to right post, and to centre post.
- I, J, K, L: Screw #5, #4, #3, and #2 backboards with one Phillips screw to left, to right, and to centre post.
- M: Add two more screws to each post.
- N: Place lid on top, with wood rail down. Screw hinges on with small Phillips screws.
- O: Place one of short wood boards (the pads) under each of the six posts.
Add or remove soil to stabilize the box under the posts.
- P: Rehook each of the gates.
- Q: Optional: Stain, paint, or preserve inside and outside. It will last longer and the bugs don't mind.
- Start composting.
- All photos and images provided by Will S.